|COLONEL WILLIAM M. KNIGHT|
Colonel William M. Knight is the Commander, 374th Airlift Wing, Yokota Air Base, Japan. He is responsible for the management, training, command and control of the Department of Defense's only airlift wing in the Pacific theater. As the Western Pacific airlift hub, Yokota Air Base provides mission ready forces and base operating support to guarantee U.S. forward presence and crisis response.
Colonel Knight entered the Air Force through the Reserve Officer Training Corps in 1989 after graduating from Auburn University, Ala. Colonel Knight's previous assignment was as the Chief, Joint Education Branch and Deputy Chief, Joint Education and Doctrine Division, Directorate of Operational Plans and Joint Force Development Directorate of the Joint Staff at the Pentagon. He has also been an Air Force Fellow with the Congressional Research Service in the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. Additionally, he has commanded a KC-135 squadron, and held staff positions at the squadron, group, wing and major command level.
Colonel Knight is a command pilot with more than 2,800 flying hours in KC-135, C-130, and T-38 aircraft.
1989 Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Auburn University, Ala.
1990 Masters of Business Administration, Auburn University, Ala.
1995 Squadron Officers' School (Non-resident program)
1997 Squadron Officers' School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 Air Command and Staff College (Non-resident program)
2002 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Masters of Military Operational Art/Science, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Air War College (Non-resident program)
2008 Air Force Fellow, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
2009 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1. Jun 1990 - Jun 1991, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. Jul 1991 - Mar 1994, C-141 Aircraft Maintenance Officer and Section Commander, 62d Aircraft Generation Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
3. Apr 1994 - May 1998, Executive Officer, Chief of Tactics and C-130 Aircraft Commander, 39th Airlift Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
4. Jun 1998 - Jul 2001, Flight Commander, Assistant Operations Officer and KC-135 Evaluator Pilot, 905th Air Refueling Squadron and Executive Officer, 319th Operations Group and 319th Air Refueling Wing, Grand Forks AFB, N. D.
5. Aug 2001 - Jun 2002, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. Jul 2002 - Jun 2004, Chief, Executive Development Branch, Directorate of Personnel, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. Jul 2004 - Jun 2007, Operations Officer, 22d Operations Support Squadron, later Commander, 384th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
8. Jul 2007 - Jun 2008, Air Force Fellow, Foreign Affairs, Defense, and Trade Division, Congressional Research Service, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
9. Jun 2008 - Jun 2010, Deputy Chief, Joint Education and Doctrine Division, Operational Plans and Joint Force Development Directorate, Joint Staff, Pentagon, Va.
10. July 2010 - March 2012, Vice Commander, 374th Airlift Wing, Yokota AB, Japan
11. March 2012 - Present, Commander, 374th Airlift Wing , Yokota AB, Japan
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 2,800 hours
Aircraft Flown: KC-135, C-130, and T-38
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
2002 Airlift/Tanker Association's Global Reach Award Winner
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant December 3, 1989
First Lieutenant December 3, 1991
Captain December 3, 1993
Major March 1, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2005
Colonel August 1, 2010
(Current as of March 2012)