Yokota Air Base   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

Library > Fact Sheets > Off Base Housing


Posted 11/1/2010 Printable Fact Sheet

Community Housing A new On-Base First Family Housing Policy was issued in June 2010. This means newly arriving military members will reside in base housing units when available. Exceptions to this policy are required to be submitted in writing to the Housing Office, and must be approved by appropriate level of authority. The following information applies to civilian employees and military members authorized to live in community housing.

General Information

Japanese homes, especially in Tokyo, are built smaller compared to American standards due to the limited size and price of land. Living room areas, bedrooms, bathrooms, and closets are fairly small in size. Durable straw mats called "tatami" mats cover some rooms in Japanese homes.

One tatami mat is approximately 3' x 6' and about 3" thick. The number of mats has become a measure for the size of a room. There are usually 6 tatami mats in a standard size room, which equals approximately 9' x 12'. Due to size of the rooms, it is recommended you carefully select what furniture you bring with you to Yokota.

Monthly rent ranges from about $1,300 for a two-bedroom apartment of 500 ~ 800 "gross" square footage to about $1,600 for a three-bedroom house of 700 ~ 1,100 "gross" square footage. Availability of four-bedroom houses is very limited. If you have pets, especially large pets, you will spend a longer time locating pet-friendly community housing.

Trash rules are different in each city. The common rule is you must separate burnable, unburnable, and recyclable refuse. A guideline for trash is available through each city hall, the Yokota Housing Office, and your landlord. Off-base trash cannot be brought on base for disposal.

Electric power is slightly different between Japan and the U.S; Japan is 100 volts, and the U.S. is 110 volts. Most appliances will work at this lower voltage, but check the data plate on the back of your devices before plugging them in. The main difference is the frequency of the power; Japanese electricity runs at 50 Hertz (Hz) and the U.S. is 60 Hz. This means that clocks, electric motors, and anything with a timed circuit will most likely not work correctly here in Japan. Please check your electrical device data plates to see if they will work here in Japan.

Locating Community Housing

Application for Assignment to Housing (DD Form 1746)

This form must be filled out with your orders to start locating community housing. DoD civilians must contact their Civilian Personnel Office for LQA (Living Quarters Allowance) and Temporary Quarters Subsistence Expense (TQSE) entitlements. We do provide relocation services to contractors and technical consultants who have SOFA status. They need to submit an employment certificate to be eligible for services.

Offer of Community housing (CEHA Form Letter 10)

Customers receive the "Offer of Community Housing" form to take a look at offered housing. It has the address of the community housing unit and the name/contact information of the current resident.

Here are some questions you should consider to help you locate off-base housing:

1. How much is the monthly rent, security deposit, appreciation money, agent fee, and rental insurance?
2. How much is your entitlement (OHA or LQA)?
3. How long is the term of the lease?
4. Is there a renewal fee when you renew a lease? Keep in mind that the government does not pay the renewal fee.
5. Is a co-signer required? The Yokota Housing Office cannot become your co-signer.
6. Who is liable for normal wear and tear when you terminate a lease?
7. Will you be charged a cleaning fee when you terminate a lease?
8. Does a landlord agree to use a base standard lease agreement written in English?
9. Is school bus transportation for your dependent(s) close to your off-base residence?

Lease Agreement and Forms

If you find community housing by yourself, you will need to bring an English draft of the lease agreement, floor plan, map, and housing information sheet to the housing office for review. The housing office will provide an English/Japanese template lease (base standard lease agreement) for your use. For your protection, please do not sign a lease or convey money to a landlord without consulting with a representative from the Housing Office.

Housing (standard) Compliance Inspection

To approve the housing, a housing representative will conduct a thorough inspection of your house.

Request to Receive Advance Housing Allowance (AF Form 1039)

This form authorizes a military member to receive an advance for charges that you must pay prior to move-in: Advance rent, security deposit, appreciation money, rental insurance.
Individual Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) (DD Form 2367) This form is used to start your OHA for military members authorized to procure community housing. Please bring your final TLA payment paperwork or a dormitory clearance slip into the housing office prior to completing the DD Form 2367.
  Assignment of Community Housing Furnishings
This form is used to provide furniture support for community housing. Please take the completed form to the Furnishings Management Office in Bldg. 4145. This will entitle you to receive furnishings for your community housing. Remember, community housing is smaller than on base housing. Therefore, exercise prudence when selecting furnishings.
Move-In Housing Allowance Claim Form (DD Form 2556)
This form is for military members. If you paid appreciation money or an agent fee, this form will be used for the reimbursement.
  Self-inspection. Ensure you complete a thorough self-inspection of your house and fill out this form to be refunded the security deposit. Please provide the Housing Office and your landlord a copy of all discrepancies. To ensure nothing is overlooked, please inspect the house prior to furniture delivery.
How to Pay Rent and Utilities

The base lease agreement will set your monthly payment to be due the fifth of each month. You have two options to pay rent and utilities: Pay Yourself or G.I.Bill Pay Services.

Pay Yourself You can pay the rent at your landlord's management office or at a bank. Electric and water bills may be paid at a Japanese bank or convenience store (7-11, Lawson, Family-Marts, etc.). Your gas bill may be paid at the post office or Japanese bank. In some cases, utilities may be collected at your home or your landlord may collect utility charges upon payment of rent. Utilities will fluctuate depending upon the size of the home and family use. Expect to pay between $200 and $500 per month if electricity is used prudently. Utility payment brochures are available at the housing office.
G.I.Bill Pay Services Inc. This company will help you pay your rent, utilities, telephone, and cell phone by electronic bank-to bank transfers. If you have questions about this service, please refer to the link http://www.gibillpay.com/asia/

Telephone, Internet and TV Information

Optical fiber and cable TV are becoming mainstreams for telephone (IP phone), internet, and TV services. If an antenna for digital broadcasting is already installed at your house, you will be able to watch Japanese TV channels. If you would like to watch American channels, you need to have either fiber-optic or cable TV. Note: This information below is only a guide to help you get a phone, Internet, and TV set up in your community housing. It is not an endorsement of the companies listed. You need to get permission from a house owner to install fiber-optic or cable TV beforehand. Below are the companies that provide fiber-optic or cable TV services:
   NTT East Japan
· NTT Official Agent (Fuji Telephone Trust Inc), Located near Yokota AB. English speaking. http://www.fujidenwa.com/ 042-551-0056,
· NTT East information Center http://www.ntt-east.co.jp/index_e.html 0120-364-463
 KDDI  http://www.kddi.com/english/
 YahooBB http://bbpromo.yahoo.co.jp/hikari_wf/index.html
 Tama Cable http://www.t-net.ne.jp/top.html

Email questions to 374ceshousing@yokota.af.mil or via telephone at (315)225-7114.

Fact Sheet Point of Contact
374th Airlift Wing Public Affairs
Comm: 011-81-3117-55-7020
DSN: (315) 225-7020

 Inside Yokota AB

ima cornerSearch

ima cornerSpecial Topics


Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     USA.gov     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act