Yokota Air Base   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

Library > Fact Sheets > Space-Available Travel


Posted 1/13/2013 Printable Fact Sheet
Going to Iwakuni or Kadena?
YOKOTA, Japan -- The Patriot Express mission will change schedules and routes beginning April 3. For more information on Space Available opportunities, call 225-5660 or 225-5661. (U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Veronica Pierce)
Download HiRes

Space-available travel, also known as Space-A, is a program that allows authorized passengers to occupy seats on DoD aircraft that are left over once all space-required passengers have been accommodated. Space-available travel is allowed on a non-mission interference basis only.

Uniformed Services members on active duty must be in a leave or pass status to register for space-available travel, remain in a leave or pass status while awaiting travel, and be in a leave or pass status the entire period of travel. DoD civilian employees, when afforded space-available privileges, must be in a non-duty status (such as weekends or holidays) to register for space-available travel.

Yokota AMC Passenger Terminal
Hours of operation: 4 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily

Mailing address
Unit 5114
APO AP 96328-5114

Fax number
DSN 315-225-9767
Commercial fax from the United States: 011-81-3117-55-9767
Commercial fax within Japan: 042-552-2511 Ext. 59767

To make a reservation: 730ams.space.available@yokota.af.mil

Phone numbers
Flight recording: DSN 315-225-7111
Lost and found: DSN 315-225-9543
Information: DSN 315-225-5660, 5661, or 5662; commercial from the U.S.: 011-81-3117-55-5661; commercial within Japan: 042-552-2511 Ext. 55660

Yokota AMC Passenger Terminal services
The Yokota AMC Passenger Terminal has several services available for travelers' convenience: an ATM, children's lounge, movie and infant lounge, Special Ts eatery (open 6:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.), business center, and military and international phones. The business center has computers, a fax machine and a copier.

Registration information
Travelers using the Yokota AMC Passenger Terminal can sign up by mail, fax or e-mail using the contact information above.

When registering for travel, active-duty service members must provide a copy of their leave form. All eligible travelers must provide a completed Air Mobility Command (AMC) Form 140, "Space Available Travel Request."

If AMC Form 140 is not available, a statement listing the names of the traveler or travelers, member's rank, the number of seats required, and up to five country destinations. The last country choice may be "All"; however, you must specify a destination at the time you are marked present at the terminal.

The original date and time of sign up will be documented and must stay with the traveler until his or her destination is reached. Upon reaching the destination, the traveler may sign up for space-available travel to return to home station. Those registered are not required to accept any seat offered, and failure to accept an offered seat shall not jeopardize a passenger's position on the space-available register.

Reservations are not made for any space-available traveler. Travel opportunity is afforded on an equitable basis to officers, enlisted personnel, civilian employees, and their accompanying dependents without regard to rank or grade, military or civilian, or branch of Uniformed Service.

Required documentation
The following types of travelers will present the documents listed below to air terminal personnel, and will have these documents on their possession during travel.

Active-duty, Uniformed Services members (including National Guard and Reserve members on active duty in excess of 30 days, an cadets and midshipmen of the U.S. Service academies), will have:
-- DD Form 2 (Green), "U.S. Armed Forces Identification Card"; or Form 2 NOAA (Green), "Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card (Active)"; or PHS Form 1866-3 (Green), "United States Public Health Service Identification Card (Active)." 
-- A valid leave authorization or evidence of pass status
-- Those using their environmental and morale (EML) entitlement must also present a copy of their EML orders. 

Retired Uniformed Services members must present a DD Form 2 (Blue), "U.S. Armed Forces Identification Card (Retired)"; or DD Form 2 (Blue), "NOAA Uniformed Services Identification Card (Retired)"; or PHS Form 1866-3 (Blue), "United States Public Health Service Identification Card (Retired). 

Dependents of Uniformed Services members will present a DD Form 1173, "United States Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card." 

A complete listing of documentation required, may be found in DOD 4515-13-R, Chapter 6 at: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/451513r.pdf
Categories of travel, and priorities of movement
There are six categories of space-available travel. Space-available travelers are placed in one of six categories based on their status (active-duty, Uniformed member, DoDDS teacher, etc.) and their situation (emergency leave, ordinary leave, etc.).

The numerical order of space-available categories indicates the precedence of movement between categories. For example, travelers in Category III move before those in Category IV. The order in which travelers are listed in a particular category, below, does not indicate priority of movement in that category. In each category, transportation is furnished on a first-come, first-out basis.

Except where specified in DOD 4515-13-R, Chapter 6, dependents may travel space-available only when accompanied by their sponsor.

A partial list of the categories is provided below. A complete list of may be found in DOD 4515-13-R, Chapter 6.

Category I
Situation: Emergency leave, unfunded travel
-- Uniformed Services members with emergency status indicated in leave orders
-- U.S. citizen civilian employees of the Uniformed Services stationed overseas
-- U.S. citizen civilian employees of non-appropriated fund (NAF) activities stationed overseas and whose travel is from the continental United States (CONUS), Alaska, or Hawaii was incident to a permanent-change-of-station (PCS) assignment as a NAF employee
-- American Red Cross full-time, paid personnel, serving with at DoD component overseas
-- Dependents of members of the Uniformed Services when accompanied by their sponsor
-- Dependents, accompanied or unaccompanied, of members of the Uniformed Services who are assigned and domiciled in the CONUS
-- Dependents of members of the Uniformed Services, non-command sponsored, residing overseas with the sponsor, one-way only to emergency destination
-- Dependents, command sponsored, of: (1) U.S. citizen civilian employees of the Uniformed Services stationed overseas; (2) U.S. citizen civilian employees of the DoD stationed overseas and paid from NAF; or (3) American Red Cross full-time, paid personnel serving with a DoD component overseas
-- Dependents of retired Uniformed Service members who die overseas. Travel is authorized for the purpose of accompanying the remains of the deceased retired member from overseas to CONUS. Return travel is authorized if accomplished within one year of arrival in the CONUS. 

Category II
Situation: Environmental and morale leave (EML)
Status: Sponsors in an EML status and their dependents traveling with them, also in EML status.
Sponsors include:
-- Uniformed Service members
-- U.S. citizen civilian employees of the Armed Forces who are eligible for government-funded transportation to the United States at tour completion (including NAF employees)
-- American Red Cross full-time, paid personnel on duty with at DoD component
-- USO professional staff personnel on duty with the Uniformed Services
-- DoDDS teachers during the school year and for employer-approved training during recess periods
Note: When traveling under EML orders, dependents who are 18 years of age or older may travel unaccompanied. Dependents who are under 18 years of age traveling under EML orders must be accompanied by an EML-eligible parent or legal guardian who is traveling under EML status. 

Category III
Situation: Ordinary leave, close blood or affinitive relatives, house-hunting permissive TDY, Medal of Honor recipients, foreign military, and others.
-- Uniformed Services members in a leave or pass status other than emergency leave (use Category I) and environmental and morale leave (use Category II), or access appellate leave, for which space-available travel is not authorized. This includes members of the Reserve components on active duty, in a leave or pass status.
-- Dependents of a member of the Uniformed Services when accompanied by their sponsor in a leave status other than emergency leave, environmental and morale leave, or excess appellate leave, for which space-available travel is not authorized
-- Close blood or affinitive relatives who are permanent members of the household and dependent upon a military service members, a DoD civilian employee, or American Red Cross employee serving with a DoD component overseas, when the sponsor is authorized transportation of dependents at government expense. Travel must be with the sponsor's, or his or her dependents, PCS move
-- Uniformed Service members traveling under permissive TDY orders for house hunting incident to a pending PCS
-- One dependent when accompanying a Uniformed Services member traveling under permissive TDY orders for house hunting incident to a pending PCS
-- Medal of Honor recipients when accompanied by their sponsor
-- Foreign cadets and midshipmen attending U.S. Service academies, in a leave status. Foreign cadet's and midshipmen's native countries must be identified in the leave authorization.
A complete Category III eligibility list of may be found in DOD 4515-13-R, Chapter 6.

Category IV
Situation: Unaccompanied dependents on EML and DoDDS teachers on EML during the summer.
-- Dependents traveling under the EML Program, unaccompanied by their sponsor (refer to Category II for a description of sponsor)
-- DoDDS teachers or dependents (accompanied or unaccompanied) traveling under the EML Program

Category V
Situation: Permissive TDY (non-house hunting), students, dependents, and others
-- Military personnel traveling on permissive TDY orders other than for house hunting
-- Dependents (children) who are college students attending in residence an overseas branch of a U.S. university located in the same overseas area in which they reside, command sponsored, stationed overseas with their sponsor who is: (1) A member of the Uniformed Services, (2) a U.S. citizen civilian employee of the Department of Defense (paid from either appropriated funds or NAF), (3) an American Red Cross full-time, paid employee serving with the Department of Defense. Unaccompanied travel is permitted from the overseas military passenger terminal nearest their sponsor's permanent-duty station to the overseas military passenger terminal nearest the university, and to return during school breaks. Students must present written authorization from an approving authority and only one round trip is authorized per year. Unused trips may not be accumulated from school year to school year. 
A complete Category V eligibility list of may be found in DOD 4515-13-R, Chapter 6

Category VI
Situation: Retired, dependents, Reserve, ROTC, etc.
-- Retired Uniformed Services members
-- Dependents of retired Uniform Services members, when accompanying their sponsor
-- Authorized Reserve component members and authorized Reserve component members entitled to retired pay at age 60 traveling CONUS and directly between the CONUS and Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam and American Samoa (Guam and American Samoa travelers may transit Hawaii or Alaska); or traveling within Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands
A complete Category VI eligibility list of may be found in DOD 4515-13-R, Chapter 6

Destinations and international restrictions
Travel between overseas stations, between CONUS stations, and between overseas and CONUS stations depend on the traveler's status and situation. When authorized, theater or international restrictions shall be observed and all requirements pertaining to passports, visas, foreign customs, and immunizations shall be met.

Individuals traveling to or from the CONUS, and who are not otherwise eligible to travel space-available in the CONUS, may travel on any CONUS leg segment (i.e., on a flight with en route stops) when no change of aircraft or mission is involved.

Conditions of travel
There is no guaranteed space for any traveler. The Department of Defense is not obligated to continue an individual's travel or return him or her to the point of origin, or any other point. Travelers shall have sufficient personal funds to pay for commercial transportation to return to their residence or duty station if space-available transportation is not available.

More information 
Information is also available at the AMC Space Available Information Web site and DOD 4515-13-R, Chapter 6.

Information about base amenities is included in the recent edition of AMC Gram.  Click here for details.

(Current as of January 2013)

 Inside Yokota AB

ima cornerSearch

ima cornerSpecial Topics


Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     USA.gov     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act