PRINT | E-MAIL
Colonel Kevin Martin is the commander of the 374th Operations Group, 374th Airlift Wing, Yokota Air Base, Japan. He is responsible for the combat readiness of three operational squadrons employing the Yokota airfield complex and twenty-one C-130J, C-12J, and UH-1N aircraft all in support of intratheater airlift, operational support airlift, aeromedical evacuation, and search and rescue missions across the Asia-Pacific region.
Colonel Martin was born in Aurora, Colorado on Mar. 31st 1972. He graduated from Hampton High School, Hampton, Va. in 1990 and George Mason University in 1995. He entered the United States Air Force in 1997 through Officer Training School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. Col Martin is a Command Pilot with over 3,600 flight hours in the C-130, MC-130, C-12, UH-1 and BE-350 aircraft and was initial cadre on the MC-130W program. He has been stationed in North Carolina, Florida, New Mexico, and Washington, D.C. Col Martin has supported contingency operations in Europe, Afghanistan, Iraq, Africa, and South America. Additionally, Col Martin has served as a Special Operations Joint Task Force Deputy J3 and Task Force Assistant Operations Officer along with being a mission commander. Prior to his current position, the colonel was a student at Army War College. He is married to the former Britta K. Jensen of Helotes, Texas and they have three children: Devynn, Jensen, and Trevor.
1995 Bachelor of Arts, International Studies and Economics with Global Systems, George Mason University, Fairfax, Va.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2008 Masters of Arts, Interdisciplinary Programs, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Ok.
2011 Masters of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala. (correspondence)
2019 Masters of Strategic Studies, Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
1. December 1997 – August 1998, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
2. August 1998 – March 1999, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, Texas
3. March 1999 – June 2003, C-130 Pilot/Aircraft Commander/Instructor Pilot, 2nd Airlift Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
4. June 2003 – January 2004, 43rd Airlift Wing Tactics Pilot, 43rd Operations Support Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
5. January 2004 – August 2004, Student, MC-130H Pilot Training, 550th Special Operations Squadron, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
6. August 2004 – May 2006, Training Flight Commander/MC-130H Aircraft Commander, 15th Special Operations Squadron,Hurlburt Field, Fla.
7. May 2006 – August 2007, Readiness Flight Commander/MC-130W Instructor Pilot, 73rd Special Operations Squadron,Hurlburt Field, Fla.
8. August 2007 – July 2010, Assistant Operations Officer/MC-130W Evaluator Pilot, 73rd Special Operations Squadron & Chief of Command Post 27th Special Operations Wing, Cannon AFB, N.M.
9. July 2010 – June 2011, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. June 2011 – June 2013, Deputy Chief of Current Operations, Joint Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, N.C.
11. June 2013 – November 2014, Operations Officer, AFSOC Unit
12. November 2014 – June 2017, Commander, AFSOC Unit
13. June 2017 – July 2018, Joint Staff, DDSO/CT (J37) Branch Chief/Acting Division Chief, Pentagon,Washington, D.C.
14. July 2018 – June 2019, Student, Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
15. June 2019 – Present, Commander, 374th Operations Group, Yokota Air Base, Japan
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,600
Aircraft flown: BE-350, C-130E/H/J, MC-130H/W, C-12J, UH-1N
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2011 – June 2013, Deputy Chief of Current Operations, Joint Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, N.C., as a lieutenant colonel
2. June 2017 – July 2018, Branch Chief/Acting Division Chief, Deputy Director for Special Operations and Counter- terrorism (J37), the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C., as a lieutenant colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Japanese Defense Cooperation Medal (2nd Class)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec 5, 1997
First Lieutenant Dec 5, 1999
Captain Dec 5, 2001
Major June 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel Oct 1, 2012
Colonel Jan 1, 2019
(Current as of May 2020)