PRINT | E-MAIL
Colonel Jason T. Mills is the Vice Commander, 374th Airlift Wing, Yokota Air Base, Japan. He assists the Wing Commander in the management, training, command and control of the Department of Defense’s only airlift wing in the Pacific theater. As the Western Pacific airlift hub, Yokota Air Base provides mission-ready forces and base operating support to guarantee U.S. forward presence and crisis response.
Colonel Mills hails from Walker, Iowa and is a 1997 graduate of the United States Air Force Academy. He completed undergraduate pilot training in 1998 at Columbus, Mississippi and has served as a Flight Examiner and an Instructor Aircraft Commander in the C-21A and C-17A Globemaster III. Col Mills has flown numerous combat sorties supporting Operations SOUTHERN WATCH, IRAQI FREEDOM, ENDURING FREEDOM and INHERENT RESOLVE, as well as worldwide missions delivering humanitarian aid and vital supplies. He has held a variety of positions at the squadron, group, headquarters Air Force, and joint headquarters levels. Prior to his current assignment, Col Mills was the Deputy Chief, Joint Training and Readiness Division, United States Transportation Command.
1997 Bachelor of Science, Engineering Mechanics, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2002 Master of Science, Aeronautical Sciences Technology, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Fla.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2010 Master of Science, Logistics, Air Force Institute of Technology, Ohio
2010 Advanced Study of Air Mobility, Joint Base McGuire Dix-Lakehurst, N.J.
2013 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2018 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1. May 1997 – December 1997, Assistant Media Manager, U.S. Air Force Academy Athletic Department, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
2. December 1997 – December 1998, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
3. January 1999 – July 2002, C-21A Evaluator Pilot, Executive Officer & Scheduler 311th Airlift Flight, Offutt AFB, Neb.
4. August 2002 – August 2005, C-17A Evaluator Pilot, Flight Commander & Wing Safety Officer, McChord AFB, Wash.
5. September 2005 – August 2008, C-17A Evaluator Pilot, Chief, Operations Group Standardization and Evaluations; Chief, Squadron Standardization and Evaluation, Deputy Chief, Current Operations, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
6. August 2008 - June 2009, Chief, Intertheater Airlift Requirements, 618th Tanker Airlift Control Center, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. June 2009 – July 2010, Student, Advanced Study of Air Mobility, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J.
8. July 2010 – July 2013, Chief, Intertheater Requirements Branch, Executive Officer and Congressional Budget and Appropriations Liaison, Pentagon, D.C.
9. July 2013 – June 2014, C-17A Instructor Pilot, Chief of Safety, 436th Airlift Wing, Dover AFB, Del.
10. June 2014 – June 2016, Commander, 3d Airlift Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
11. June 2016 – June 2017, Deputy Commander, 436th Operations Group, Dover AFB, Del.
12. June 2017 – June 2019, Deputy Chief, Future Operations Division and Deputy Chief, Joint Training and Readiness Division, USTRANSCOM, Scott AFB, Ill.
13. June 2019 – Present, Vice Commander, 374th Airlift Wing, Yokota Air Base, Japan
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2017 – December 2017, Deputy Chief, Future Operations Division, Operations Directorate, USTRANSCOM, Scott AFB, Ill., as a lieutenant colonel
2. December 2017 – June 2019, Deputy Chief, Joint Training and Readiness Division, Operations Directorate, USTRANSCOM, Scott AFB, Ill., as a colonel
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 4,400
Aircraft Flown: T-37B, T-1, C-21A, C-17A, C-5M, C-130J
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1997
First Lieutenant May 28, 1999
Captain May 28, 2001
Major December 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2012
Colonel September 1, 2018
(Current as of June 2019)