U.S. Marine Corps officer stands in front of military ship


Staff Judge Advocate (SJA) & Legal Office

The Office of the Staff Judge Advocate provides legal services to the Senior Defense Official and staff, military law enforcement, DoD members, retirees, civilian employees, and their families.



U.S. military members, government civilian employees and their dependents in Australia live here pursuant to the Unites States-Australia Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA). U.S. military members on orders do not need a passport or a visa to enter and remain in Australia. However, U.S. Government civilian employees and all dependents who are not Australian citizens are required to have official orders, ID card(s) and official passport(s) with SOFA stamp.  Travelers may pass the official passport information to the 337 ASUF/JA for inclusion into Australia’s Special Purpose Travel Authority (SPTA) database to ease processing through airports.  To add travelers to the SPTA database, travelers must provide a copy of official orders along with a scanned copy of the photo page, signature page, and SOFA stamp in official passport to to PACAF.JAOL-E.CANBERRA@US.AF.MIL, as soon as possible, but not later than 15 days prior to travel.


Entry and Departure Requirements:

        a.   To enter and re-enter Australia, members of the US Forces are required to present the following documents:

  • Up-to-date military ID card
  • Individual or collective Movement Order (PCS, TDY or TAD orders) issued by an appropriate United States authority and certifying that the individual or group is a member or members of the United States Forces

        b.   Members of the civilian component and family members must present an official passport with SOFA stamp provided by the appropriate United States authority that the holder is a member of the civilian component or a family member.  The SOFA stamp serves in lieu of a visa.