U.S. Air Force Airman stands for a photo


DEERS/ID Card Process

To be eligible for an ID card, the dependent must be enrolled in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) (e.g. spouse, children, and any other dependent you may have).  Your DEERS information will need to be updated each time you have a change to your records.  Those changes include but are not limited to change of address, and/or family status (e.g. marriage, divorce, birth, adoption, etc.)


For more DEERS information and updates, please visit: https://milconnect.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/public/faq/DEERS and https://www.cac.mil


337 ASUF/Canberra: Hours of operation are Tuesday and Thursday 0900 – 1530.  Please contact our office to obtain a Visitor Access Request to enter the Embassy and make an appointment.


Darwin: RAPIDS ID Center is located in the MRF-D S1 office, Building 6, Larrakeyah.  Hours of operation are Monday - Friday, 0800-1100 and 1300-1700.

Contact the Darwin office at +61 (8) 8935 8471 or email at jeramy.w.brady@usmc.mil to coordinate. Your CAC will be able to get you on Larrakeyah.

Alice Springs:  Members assigned to this location will need to refer to their local DEERS office.


US Embassy Mailing Address via Australia Post:

US Embassy Canberra

Attention:  337th ASUF

21 Moonah Place

Yarralumla, ACT 2600


Appointment Requirements:

A scheduled appointment can take about 30 minutes per individual.


All customers must present two forms of identity documents. Effective 26 Nov 16, the minimum age to have two forms of ID is 18 years old.


Primary Form of ID:

- Unexpired Driver’s license

- ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States with a photograph, or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address.

- Unexpired ID card issued by federal, state, or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address.

- U.S. Military card or draft record

- Unexpired Military dependent’s ID

- Unexpired U.S. Coast Guard or Merchant Mariner Card

- Unexpired U.S. Passport

- Unexpired foreign passport, with I-551 stamp or attached Form I-94 indicating unexpired employment authorization.

- Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card with photograph (Form151 or I-551),

- Unexpired Temporary Resident Card (Form I-688)

- Unexpired Employment Authorization Card (Form I-321)


Secondary Form of ID

- School ID card with a photograph

- Voter’s registration card

- Native American Tribal document

- Driver’s license issued by a Canadian government authority

- Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (Form N-560) (Form N-561)

- Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550) (Form N-570)

- Unexpired Reentry Permit (Form I-571)

- Unexpired Refugee Travel Document

- Unexpired Employment Authorization

- Document issued by DHS that contains a photograph (Form I-688B)

- U.S. Social Security Card issued by the Social Security Administration

- Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545) (Form DS 1350).

- Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority or outlying possession of the United States bearing an official seal

- U.S. Citizen ID card (Form I-179)

- Foreign National ID with photograph



We can reset the CAC ONLY if you received an error stating that the card is “blocked, locked, or have an invalid PIN.”  Call ahead in-advance to set up an appointment.


Lost or Stolen CAC/ID Cards

All ID cards are the property of the United States Government and holders are required to safeguard their ID card/CAC at all times.  If the active duty member or dependent has lost their CAC/dependent ID card, then he/she will need to have their First Sergeant sign the “Lost ID card” Letter.  In the event that the service member does not have a First Sergeant, please contact the 337 ASUF/DP section.  Once the letter is signed, the service member or dependent will be able to receive a new CAC/ID Card.  If you need a copy of the “Lost ID card” letter, please email 337 AUSF/DP office at 337ASUF.DP.ORGBOX@us.af.mil.


Dependent ID Cards

For dependent ID cards, the sponsor must be present.  If the sponsor is not available, the dependent must have a DD FORM 1172 (provided from the 337th ASUF office) signed by their sponsor and the signature must be witnessed by a Verifying Official (337th ID card issuer), a Notary, or the dependent must have a General or Special Power of Attorney.  For in-person ID cards, all dependents 18 years and older require two forms of identification.  The minimum age for children is 10 years old. 

DD Form 1172 Instructions

If your dependent has reached the age of 21 years old AND they are enrolled in an accredited college in pursuit of an Associate’s Degree or higher, they are authorized to have their benefits extended to the age of 23 years old.

- Member must provide a letter from the school registrar's office stating that they are enrolled in degree program.  This letter will need to be provided to the DEERS technician each time they need to obtain a new ID card.

- Two Valid Forms of identification (see approved list above).


Mail-In ID card Process

The mail-in process applies to Retired and Dependent ID cards only.

Note:  all documents below must be notarized at minimum by the Justice of the Peace (Local Police Station) including the back of the photo.

Required Items

  1. Photo 4 inch by 4 inch or larger (just a head shot of any size wearing no hat, no sunglasses, and no obstructions of the eyes, with a white background)
  2. Copies of 2 forms of photo ID (passport/ driver's license) along with a copy of the dependent ID card (Front/Back)
  3. Ensure copies are in color and the actual size before notarization by Justice of the Peace (Local Police Station).
  4. (Dependents ID’s Only) Fill out all of Section I (Sponsor’s information) and Section V “A” Block (dependent information). Please ensure this matches with DEERS/RAPIDS, if you need to update information, please go to RAPIDS Self Service here https://idco.dmdc.osd.mil/idco/.
  5. Once information is verified the Sponsor will sign Section II Blocks 22-33 on the 1172-2 and the recipient (dependent) will sign Section VI Blocks 72-73. (use template and how to guide)
  6. Mail the notarized documents and signed 1172-2 to the address listed above for processing.
    1. Provide contact details in case we need to communicate any concerns or issues. 
    2. Please provide a return address label (must be printed) and a return envelope with postage
  7. Once ID card is processed, the 337th ASUF will mail the new ID card to the member.


Power of Attorney

If your Military Sponsor is DEPLOYED or TDY, the dependent must have a valid “General” or “Special” Power of Attorney to receive any DEERS services, including DEERS updates or ID cards. This form will allow you to conduct DEERS-related business on your sponsor’s behalf.  See Legal Services for more information on how to obtain a Power of Attorney.   


Newly Married? Initial DEERS Enrollment of a Spouse

When adding your spouse to DEERS, either the sponsor must be present or the new spouse has a valid Power of Attorney with the following documents:

- Valid state or federal government issued photo ID

- Original/certified copy of marriage certificate

- Social security card

- If dual military, spouse MUST be enrolled and listed under both military personnel.


Spouse is a Foreign National

If your spouse is a foreign national, you must provide the original marriage certificate, valid passport, and a copy of the birth certificate. All documents must be certified and translated into English.  See “Marriage & Births Abroad” section.


Adding Newborn/Children to DEERS

Sponsors must have the following documents for the child: Birth Certificate/Certificate of Live Birth authenticated by the attending physician and social security card (if available).  If a stepchild is being added, the marriage certificate is required.  See “Marriage & Birthday Abroad” Section.


Parental DEERS Enrollment

  1. Initiation of dependency determination application is required.  Dependency determination packages will be processed through your host base and/or unit.  If you are interested in a dependency determination, please reach out to your host base admin office.
  2. You will need to provide a DFAS Letter of Approval, Service member’s Birth certificate and a valid photo ID of your parent along with their social security card to enroll parents into DEERS.
  3. Parent-in-Law Enrollment process is the same as the Parent Enrollment process but instead of the Sponsor’s Birth Certificate, you will need Spouse’s Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate.  If applicable, all documents must be translated into English and certified


Civilian Employees and Civilian Employees Overseas

For more information on obtaining a new CAC, please contact 337th ASUF/DP.  You can either e-mail 337ASUF.DP.ORGBOX@us.af.mil or call us at +61 2 6214 5821.

We look forward to serving you!