Civilians pose for a photo in the outback

Authorization and Taxation

The US Embassy Human Resources (HR) team is here to assist those family members who are ready to work.  If you are interested in running a business from your home or finding a job off the local economy, please read below:

Family members who are interested in working either inside or outside the Mission should first contact the Regional Human Resources Office (RHRO), +61 2 6214 5709 or +61 2 6214 5871 or e-mail  EXCEPTION:  Members posted to Alice Springs should submit to Joint Defence Facility Community Liaison Officer, CLO Office 08 8951-3061 / 08 8951-2064, Email:

For more information on jobs at the U.S. Embassy or Consulates, please refer to their website:


Please note that all family members (diplomatic and Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) status) must seek Chief of Mission (COM – US Ambassador) approval prior to accepting any job offer or commencing work.

  • Diplomatic Status
    • You traveled here using a diplomatic passport.  Members in this category will fall under COM approval for all items.
  • Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA)
    • Military members, dependents, and members of the civilian component who traveled using the red (military/civilian) or blue (dependents) passports.  Both of these passports will contain the SOFA stamp.


Local Employment Guide

After you have reached out to HR, they will send you some important documents to read over.  The Local Employment Guide is an informative and resourceful document full of everything you need to assist you with your job hunting. You will be required to obtain a local Australian Tax Filing Number (TFN).

  • DIP Status:  For tax purposes, you will mark “Resident”
  • SOFA Status: For tax purposes, you will mark “Non-Resident”
  • Note:  You will be required to file a tax return through the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) at the end of the tax year (July 1 – June 30).  The Australian tax deadline is typically 31 December.

At Home Businesses

The spouse/dependent would first need to reach out to Embassy Human Resources (HR) providing details of the nature of the business in order to start the process for Chief of Mission approval. 

The following provisions apply generally to all in-home businesses:

  • The Chief of Mission Australia must approve the home business prior to its commencement of operations
  • The proposed activity must not require substantial use of the housing by non-U.S. Government employees and their families (e.g., retail sales from a residence would not be permitted)
  • The regular presence in the USG-paid or -reimbursed residence of employees of the family member is not permitted
  • The occupant will obtain any additional liability insurance determined by the Management Counselor/Officer to be necessary
  • If any commercial activity approved by the Chief of Mission causes increased operating or continuing maintenance costs to the U.S. Government, the occupant must pay the increased costs attributable to such use     
  • Costs for installation of any equipment as well as for returning the property to the former condition are borne by the occupant.
  • Additionally, please note that no customer products or business materials are allowed to be mailed in or out of the DPO.

US Employed Telework

Q: If an American company is considering continued employment via telework for my dependent, does my dependent need to pay taxes in Australia?

A: No, according to Article 6 of the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) members and their dependents shall not be subject to Australian taxes in respect to income derived from sources outside of Australia.  However, it is solely up to the American company whether they chose to continue employment.